who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Friday, February 04, 2011

FFWD: Basque Potato Tortilla

I know, I haven't been around much lately. I have been cooking a lot, but not necessarily blogging about it. But here I am, on a Friday, and I'm talking about something I cooked. Which means...French Fridays With Dorie time!

FFWD: Basque potato Tortilla

This week is a simple and delicious Basque Potato Tortilla. My friend MaryAnn spent a year living in Cadiz, Spain, and she raved about the tortillas she had there. So when I saw Dorie included a couple in the book, I was excited. I became less excited when I read through the instructions and noticed I needed to finish the tortilla under the broiler--mine is broken. Ah, but the oven at work has a working broiler! Excellent.

FFWD: Basque potato Tortilla

A spanish tortilla is basically a lot like a fritatta, which is to say, a baked egg omelet. This particular tortilla is pretty simple, with onions, potatoes and...egg. The potatoes and onion are sauteed in a skillet, first. Once golden and cooked through, they are set aside in a bowl and the skillet is wiped clean. The eggs (nine!) are beaten, seasoned, the potatoes are mixed in, and everything is put back into the skillet and cooked slowly for about ten minutes.

FFWD: Basque potato Tortilla

After the ten minutes, the middle of the tortilla is probably still mushy so the whole shebang is put under the broiler until the top is cooked through. Now for a little kitchen anxiety as the tortilla is turned out onto a plate to cool. Luckily, all of the tortilla released from the pan and none of it fell onto the floor. Hooray!

FFWD: Basque potato Tortilla

I like it well enough, but when I brought it home and spread some of David Leibowitz's peanut sauce over the top, I loved it. I am excited to try some of Dorie's Bonne Idees, adding ham or bacon, spinach or mushrooms.