who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

FFWD: Speculoos



I don't think I've ever had proper Speculoos, or Speculaas, or Belgian/Dutch Spice Cookies. I've made them before but since I have no idea how they are supposed to taste I don't know if what I've made is a good Speculoos. But at any rate, I enjoy them but I think I like a spicy Swedish gingersnap better.

FFWD: Speculoos

I also have discovered that when I bake cookies, which isn't very often, I like something easy and yummy, like a good ol' drop cookie. All the fancy cookies which require rolling into logs and chilling or rolling out into sheets for cut-outs is too much for my lazy brain.

FFWD: Speculoos

I have sandwiched caramel between spicy Swedish gingersnaps to great success, so I decided to do so with these.

FFWD: Speculoos

The caramel was too soft so it gooped out, but I think that just makes them more delicious. I also tried nutella (good), and homemade strawberry jam (not my favorite).

FFWD: Speculoos

All in all, a good cookie; I like the brown sugar and spices, but I would prefer something as spicy as a Swedish gingersnap.