who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Friday, December 03, 2010

FFWD: Leek and Potato Soup

I love a good potato-leek soup, in fact my mom served one as a first course to our Thanksgiving meal last Thursday. Mom uses almost equal amounts of potatoes and leeks, where Dorie's recipe is 3:1 in favor of leeks. So I was curious how this soup would turn out.

FFWD: leek and potato soup

This soup was really easy and pretty quick to put together, which seems to be the recurring theme with Dorie's dishes. Maybe it is just the recipes we've chosen for these two months, considering how busy this time of year is, or maybe all of the book is quick and easy. Which would be awesome, but once in awhile I might like a challenging 7-page recipe a la Rose's Heavenly Cakes, but I may be shooting myself in the foot for saying that. I am terrified of dealing with live lobsters, and I think there's a recipe or two where that will be necessary. Quick and easy--that's fine. Just fine.

FFWD: leek and potato soup

Back to the recipe. One onion and a few cloves of garlic are softened in butter, then everything else is added and brought to a boil. "Everything else" includes the leeks and potato, fresh thyme, chicken stock and milk. I thought the fresh thyme was a nice touch. All this is simmered for about 20 minutes and then you've got some choices ahead of you.

You can leave the soup chunky or puree it to whatever degree suits your fancy, then you can serve it hot or chill it, which brings it closer to Vichyssoise. Considering I was just finishing a cold and was really hungry to boot, I pureed just enough for one bowl and slurped up my soup.

Mmmm.  Quick and easy is wonderful!  

FFWD: leek and potato soup