who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Friday, November 19, 2010

FFwD: Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Flans

And so, French Fridays with Dorie continues with the free-ish month, where we can choose to post in any order the four recipes chosen this month. This week I chose the Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Flans.

I used to be afraid of moldy cheese, of which gorgonzola is one, but now I love it. To confess most of the time I buy Rogue Creamery's Oregonzola which is a bit milder than other gorgonzolas out there. Plus, it's local! Go Oregon!

Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Flan

My friend Cookie and I were pretty excited about these flans, mainly because we fell in love with Dorie's stuffed pumpkin as posted on her blog in 2008 (a more complete version of the recipe is in AMFT). We stuffed the pumpkin with a good deal of gorgonzola and it was AMAZING. Pumpkin and blue cheese go together like salt and caramel.

Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Flan

So this flan was eagerly anticipated, and like everything else we've cooked so far, simple to make. Canned pumpkin, cream, eggs are blended together in the food processor (or blender--I wished my immersion blender wasn't broken because it would have been perfect). Dorie advises to season at this point, and I would like to emphasize that you really should season sort of aggressively, as pumpkin on its own is fairly bland. I didn't season enough.

The custard is then split between ramekins, topped with crumbled gorgonzola and lightly toasted and chopped walnuts, and baked in a water bath.

Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Fan

I gotta say, these weren't as delicious as I had expected. I think more (or a stronger) gorgonzola, no walnuts, and more salt would have helped. I am SO SAD I don't like these, and like the Barefoot Kitchen Witch I am DETERMINED to like this flan. It's gotta be good--I WILL MAKE IT GOOD.