who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Friday, November 05, 2010

FFwD: Potato Gratin

This month, the French Fridays with Dorie group is a little more free-flowing than usual. Because of Thanksgiving, we can post any one of four dishes each Friday of the month. That's pretty cool, but it did make it hard to decide what to cook and post first.

Potato Gratin with Broccoli Rabe

I decided to go with the delicious potato gratin, which is a casserole of thinly sliced potatoes baked in heavy cream and garlic, and topped with gruyere that turns golden and lovely.

Potato Gratin with Broccoli Rabe

Then I spotted Dorie's Bonne Idee off to the side, where she mentions adding a little steamed chopped spinach to the mix. I had a bunch of broccoli rabe and decided to layer it in. I steamed and chopped the greens, but I failed to press out the extra liquid. In hindsight that would have been nice, as the gratin didn't have a lovely creamy sauce but a watery sauce. Alas.

Potato Gratin with Broccoli Rabe

Despite the lack of the creamy sauce, the gratin is delicious; garlicky, a little bitter, and soft. You gotta love bitter greens to love this particular gratin (which I do), but as it is so easy to make, a gratin re-do may happen as soon as this weekend!

Potato Gratin with Broccoli Rabe