who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Friday, October 01, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie: Gougeres

FFwD Badge Welcome to French Fridays with Dorie, an internet cook-through of Dorie Greenspan's new book, Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes From My Home to Yours.  (That is one long book title, and will probably hereafter be known on this site at AMFT.) After being a part of the bake-through for Rose's Heavenly Cakes I've learned the importance of "studying" from one book over a long period of time.  What once seemed hard and insurmountable is now manageable.  What once sounded not-so-appetizing is now delicious.  So I jumped at the chance to expand my skills and palate with Dorie, who has such a lovely, non-intense way of writing recipes that I didn't have a second thought.  Plus, it is time for me to be a better and more varied cook.  And, I know pretty much nothing about French cuisine, and have only passed through Paris, so this is all very new and exciting.

Today's recipe, chosen by Dorie herself, are Gougeres. I don't even know how to properly pronounce that word, but I do know they are really quick and easy to make, and even easier to eat.  These barely lasted a day between myself and two friends.

gougeres

This was my first time to make pâte à choux, something which always sounded complicated and time consuming.  I am so glad they were not, especially as I made these at the end of a complicated and time consuming Apple Caramel Charlotte.

Both the Charlotte and these cheese puffs were equally excellent, and as I said devoured rather quickly by myself and my two friends, Cookie And Cabbage Jello.  Cookie especially was very excited by gougeres as she loves a good savory choux pastry.

We didn't even bother filling them with anything.  We just ate them, as is.  I used gruyere as the cheese, and as these are so simple and quick I am thinking of trying them again with some of the other cheeses Dorie recommends.

gougeres 

Update: these are delicious with bacon!