who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Cats, I'm a Kitty Cat

violet

So I got a new kitty the other day; her name is Violet. I went to the Oregon Humane Society and in some ways it was hard to just pick one cat, when I wanted to rescue 90% of them. (Sorry 10%, I could just tell we weren't going to get along.) In other ways, it was hard to find the right cat, as I apparently had a long list of traits I wanted my new cat friend to have.

For example I wanted
1. Pippin's new BFF
2. who wasn't too shy
3. or too bossy
4. who was kind of independent
5. who wasn't a tortoiseshell
6. or a tuxedo cat
7. who wasn't too old
8. who wasn't a kitten
9. who was easy going
10. and not long haired
11. and outside experienced
12. and well socialized with both people and cats
13. and didn't have any major health problems

Magically, there were several cats who fit the bill, but when it came down to it, I chose a petite girl cat who is 1 year old, and was given up for adoption because she got knocked up. She had her babies in foster care and they have been all adopted out. She's fixed now, and she has pretty green eyes. She was born in her previous owner's home and lived with cats and dogs. She's been home with Pips and I for a day and half now and already she's settled in to our routine. Pippin at first seemed pretty pissed off that I brought a stranger into our home but today I saw him trying to engage her in play or cuddling. She's still a little aloof with him, which I hope is very temporary. I know Pippin is patient and determined enough to make any cat like him but I hope he doesn't have to wait too long with this one.

I kind of feel like I'm cheating on grumpy fluffy Anastasia, but I don't think I'll ever have a relationship with an animal like I did with Annas. And poor Peepers has been lonely these last 4 months. I can't ignore the live one's needs just to honor the dead one, you know?

And in the spirit of cats, here is a really dumb but totally addictive video (I've watched it 4 times in the last 24 hours):