who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Friday, May 09, 2008

FAQ

I've had a few FAQs in the last month, and I'd like to address them here, in case any of you were going to ask me the same thing.

Q: Is it weird that your younger sister is getting married and trying to get pregnant before you?

A: I don't know, IS it weird?

She does everything before me, anyway. I think the only things I did before her were: be born, walk, talk (questionable), go to college. Everything else, she did first. So this just follows our sisterly pattern.

Q: So....you're just an acupuncturist and a doula? And you make enough money???

A: Yeah, people, I do.

Just because I hold office hours for 2.5 days a week doesn't mean I am a total slacker living off of the government's dole. And just because you may work 90 hours a week doesn't make you more productive, or mean that you are "doing it right." It does make you more sick, and therefore more likely you'll be calling me for a treatment. So don't start getting ideas about cutting back on work. I need your poor lifestyle choices to pay my groceries.

Q: So do you have kids of your own?

A: No, just two cats.

But don't let that stop you from trusting me to be a good support for you or your wife or your daughter when push comes to shove. (Good pun!) Don't let that stop you from thinking that I can't treat your pregnancy symptoms or help your body kick into labor. Don't let that fool you into thinking I don't know what I am doing, I am not qualified to be a doula, or you are better at my job than me. Don't think that a doula who has kids is going to be a better doula--she might not be. She might just keep expecting you to have the same birth she did, or she might be using you to help her deal with her own birth trauma. Who knows. But immediately writing me off for not having kids? Lame.