who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Worker at carbon black plant, Sunray, Texas (LOC)

The Library of Congress had paired up with Flickr to post over 3,000 archived photos. There are two sets, one a color set of photos from the 1930's-40's, which this one came from, and the other a black and white set taken in the 1910's mostly of NY city.

This is a really amazing photo project, especially for lovers of history like me. There are lots of "Rosie the Riveter" type shots which are fun to see. A lot of the comments people are leaving include personal memories of family members that I find just as interesting as the photos themselves.

I've only looked at a fraction of the color set from the 30s-40s, but there have been photos of farms and farmers in Nebraska, Texas, Montana, mines and scrap heaps, women working for the war effort, and I've just come upon a series from a Japanese interment camp in CA.

I chose to post this portrait because it is so haunting. Amazing photograph, don't you think?