who's the ECL?

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm not BAD evil, more like devil's food cake evil.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Hello, 2007

It is 3:33 in the am and I just got home. I rang in the new year with a couple of my friends; we ate chilli dogs, made s'mores, drank rum and cokes, and watched a lot of that Ace Of Cakes show on the Food Network. Naturally, I was fascinated by their fondant and sugar paste creations. Fascinated, but not inspired. I'm just not that kind of cake lady.

I have to say, I am a little bit depressed about being back in dark grey cold Portland Oregon, when a few days ago I was in partly cloudy, mostly sunny, warm, kinda humid, oceany Hawaii. In fact, I think I am a little angry about it. I feel a little petulant about it, really.

I'm an island girl at heart. Their amorphous, friendly, laid back way of life is my life, too. I'm just not a Type A person and I don't love to work, and I can lay on a couch all day and feel like I accomplished a lot. Not that Hawaiians are lazy and unemployed, but it seems like they get that life isn't about work. And, most of them love the ocean like I do.

In the summer of 2005, I realised two things about myself that I knew weren't ever going to change (my inalienable truths): I need to be involved in birth, and I need to live by the ocean.

Well in 2006 I've worked hard to be involved in birth on many levels and it has been the most rewarding career choice I've made to date. I know I'll be involved with birth somehow in some way for the rest of my days.

Just gotta get that ocean one worked out. So really, if I have a New Year's resolution for 2007, it's to find that ocean town/city/metopolis that is my home. Maybe it's on the islands in the middle of the Pacific, maybe it's on the west coast somewhere, maybe it's some oceany place I haven't even considered yet. (the Carribean? New Zealand? Ireland? god forbid, Florida??) I just hope I find my home this year.